Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Am I really that weird?

Here's a picture of a cute little turtle. RaNdOm!!1!

I'm in a creative writing class this semester and the first thing we've been talking about is good characterization. For the past two classes we've all been writing characterizations of ourselves, which is kind of fun in itself, but the teacher is so bent on us concentrating on our "weird" characteristics. Yes, I know everyone has odd little quirks and things, but the degree to which she's pushing this "You're so WEIRD! Be weird and PROUD!" thing on us just makes me think of the badly-dressed socially inept announcing how weird and "rAnDoM" they are. I mean, I'm all for embracing your quirks and knowing your strengths and weaknesses, but I think we're all old enough to begin doing that like adults. Right?

Anyway, we had to come up with a bunch of weird things about ourselves. These are mine!

  • I seem to not like my food fully cooked. Every time I order a steak or a burger (or used to, anyway... veggie time!), it's as rare as I can have it. Eggs? Runny yolks. Fish? Sushi! And vegetables and fruits I like raw and crunchy with dressing. I suppose veggies aren't all that weird to like uncooked, but all the meat I've ever ordered? I think some of it was still alive.
  • I don't want children. Luckily, Tom feels the same way! I have so many reasons for this it could be its own post.
  • All my electronics have names. The laptop is Declan (the old one was Dmitri). The iPod is Benvolio. The D3000 is Caspian. My little sister did this too when we were little. Every time there were peaches in the kitchen, she would adopt one and name it Cynthia.
  • In kindergarten one day, my teacher handed out bits of newspaper articles so all the kids could circle the capital letters and underline all the names and such. When I went home, I asked my mom what 'abortion' was. She called my teacher, frantic at where I learned that word. Guess I'd gotten the article on Planned Parenthood or something. Thus, my mom learned about my accelerated reading ability.
Anyone want to share weird things about themselves?

0 comments: